I am currently training to be an existential psychotherapist at Regent’s University, London. Existential psychotherapy takes a phenomenological approach to the challenges of living, bringing to light our ways of being in the world in an attempt to understand who and how we are. I am particularly interested in the philosophy of Kierkegaard and how this can be applied to contemporary psychotherapy.
My interest in talking therapies stretches back a long way. During my A-levels, I set up a peer group listening scheme in which sixth formers provided a space for pupils from younger year groups to talk about things that were bothering them. I arranged for a local UKCP-accredited psychotherapist to train us in the basics of counselling, and then ran the listening service for two years. The service continued after I left and is still running today.
As an adult I continued this type of listening work in various settings, and have also held a number of voluntary roles within victim support. This included spending a year on the night shift at ChildLine, talking to children who were at immediate risk of suicide or other serious harm, much of which came as a result of experiencing severe trauma such as sexual abuse. I continue to consult on child sexual exploitation cases, and speak in schools on related topics.
As part of my training I hold two honorary positions: one as a trainee counsellor at Headstrong Counselling, which offers low-cost counselling to people who need it; and another as an honorary psychotherapist at The Woman’s Service, which is part of Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust.
Selected Certifications & Courses
- Postgraduate Certificate: Psychotherapy & Counselling, Regent’s University (2020)
- Enhanced Criminal Records Check: Adult Workforce (2020)
- Foundation Certificate: Psychotherapy & Counselling, Regent’s University (2019)
- ChildLine Training (2016)
- Enhanced Criminal Records Check: Child Workforce (2016)
- Safeguarding Children, Stop It Now! (2012)
- Child Sexual Abuse And The Internet, The Lucy Faithfull Foundation (2012)
- Eradicating Child Sexual Abuse, The Lucy Faithfull Foundation (2012)
- Understanding Child Sexual Abusers, The Lucy Faithfull Foundation (2012)
- Women Who Sexually Abuse Children, The Lucy Faithfull Foundation (2012)
- Child Trafficking: Safeguarding Children – Advanced Level, ECPAT (2012)
- Child Trafficking: Safeguarding Children – Basic Level, ECPAT (2011)